Church History

Church Building Church Building Antioch Baptist Church, was organized on September 11, 1883 by Rev. Monroe Boykin of Camden, South Carolina and Deacon Eli Belton. Brother John Qualls was the carpenter for the original structure.

The question was asked, why the name "Antioch"? The founding deacons were inspired by the scripture as recorded in Acts 11:26 which quotes, "And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church , and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first at Antioch."

The debt on the church was retired in 1900 by Brothers Eli Belton and Rubin Beckman at Fairfield County courthouse, Winnsboro, South Carolina, giving the church the deed and title to two acres of land. A second structure was built on this same plot some many years later. Today this plot is the church's burial ground.

Construction of the existing sanctuary began in 1960 and completed in 1963. Reverend Charles J. Jackson was the pastor and spiritual leader who led this building project. Carpenters were Eddie Squirewell, Samuel James and Charles Gaston. Deacon C.J. Whitaker chaired the finance committee. Deacon Solomon Stone, Sr. was the Deacon Board Chairman; Mrs. Martha Tucker, Secretary, Deacon Major Loynes, Treasurer.

The land for the present structure, one and one-fourth acres was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Mose and Georgia L. Jackson of Fairfield County. Mr. Jake Palmer donated the one hundred dollars for the land. In 1976, an additional acre was purchased from Mr. Jackson for twelve hundred dollars.

The Fellowship Hall, erected in 1978 and the addition of the vestibule and choir rooms to the anterior of the church in 1983 greatly expanded the church's facilities. Reverend Louis Scott Jr. directed these building efforts. Dedication services for the new additions were conducted by the Longtown Lodge No. 123, the Order of Masons on Sunday, March 24, 1984.

Thompson and White constructed the new addition under the leadership of Pastor Daniel Harris in 2011. The addition included the activity shed. As you know, Pastor Harris' tenure was 18 1/2 years, until his untimely passing on December 20, 2016. He was beloved and is truly missed. Antioch is now under the leadership of Pastor Flavian Dewayne Coleman. Pastor Coleman officially took over the reigns as the leader of Antioch Baptist Church on April 1, 2018.